Sunday, August 28, 2011

Building a Debris Hut

   During our Basic Bushcraft course we demonstrate how to design and build a small hut made from plant materials and a few broken sticks. This takes about an hour of class time with ten people building one hut.
   In reality, it would take a minimum of three hours for one person to build a one person hut.
   When I was living in the Pacific Northwest outside of Seattle, I designed a built a debris hut large enough for a small fist sized fire and high enough to stand up in. It took me two months to build this. It was not a task that took all day-every day but over the two months I did put in fifty or so hours of work on this structure.
   I moved into my new place in July and stayed in this debris hut for six months. Seattle is in a temperate rain forest. It was cold, wet and windy. But inside I kept warm and bone dry. I endured hail storms, snow fall, thunder storms and a hefty wind or two.
   My debris hut was able to withstand the rough weather because it was built on the same concept of the single person debris hut: a strong inner shell made from sticks and logs along with a tight weave of branches followed by a metre of debris.

   Here are the steps in building your own debris hut.

1. Selecting your Ridge Pole


2. Placing your Ribs


3. Weave branches in between the Ribs


4. More weaving....


5. Add Debris


6. Add more Debris. You need at least 1 metre of Debris



7. Test out your new home.




No comments:

Post a Comment