Saturday, February 13, 2010

Ammo Pouch Flask

     The Bushcraft applications for the Ammo Pouch flask was quickly apparent. It is a new phenomenon for me here in Ireland and the UK. In all my years as a Special Forces medic I never came across the ammo pouch flask.

     It wasn't until late 2009 when I was teaching the medical BATLS course for the UK military that I saw a quite a few of the squadies and staff carrying this small device. Ever on the watch for new and exciting kit I inquired about it and immediately saw the potential for wilderness use.

     I ordered one as soon as I returned to Ireland. In the past few months I have found great use for this flask. It is small enough to fit into a pocket without causing a huge uncomfortable bulge. I take it on hikes with me on the surrounding hillside and it provides a nice cup of tea in the misty rain.



PROS
-small and easy enough to carry
-really keeps the tea hot for hours
-lid is completely water tight
-has a hidden compartment for additional tea bags
-cheap enough at €8

CONS
-it only holds a cup of tea. It would be nice to have more hot liquids on longer hikes but then the flask would be a bit too bulky.

     Overall, I am quite happy to have this flask in my kit. It doesn't take much room in one of my super secret pockets. I have it with me when I am out on my wanderings in the mountains and forests near our campus.

     Why not add this gadget to your bushcraft kit and enjoy a hot cup of tea on the trail.

More information can be found at www.ipna.ie.


No comments:

Post a Comment