Sunday, November 1, 2009

End of the Teaching Season

It is with great relief that we end the season of bushcraft and wilderness medicine courses. For the next couple of months, Anna and I will be recuperating and enjoying some quiet down time.

During the past eight months we have offered 17 courses for 77 students. We are quite happy with the outcome during our first full year after opening our school.
Most of our students chose to attend our Basic and Advanced Bushcraft courses. These two classes, usually offered back to back, will remain our flagship course. During the next couple of weeks I am using the feedback and information learned while teaching these courses and will be rewriting the Bushcraft curriculum.
For the first year of the school I have used many different sources for my Bushcraft curriculum. Some of it originated from my time with the Green Berets. A lot of it came from lessons learned at the Tracker School with Tom Brown. Some of the classes came from my own residential programme I attended back in 2002 with the Wilderness Awareness School in Seattle.
What I have found since immigrating here to Ireland is that the way of Bushcraft as seen in North America is different than what is found here in the Old World, especially Ireland. The wildness found in the United States and Canada offers vastness and remoteness unseen here. Also lacking here is the big game such as the three types of bear, the cougar, wolf and even the moose. Without these dangers spending time in the wilderness becomes a bit lax.
What I have found since practising Bushcraft here in Ireland is that without the risk of bodily injury from wild game, without the vastness of the wilderness, living in Nature is easier. Yes, it is extremely exciting to see 400 kg bears walking through your camp in the dark of night. That is why we always carried Bear Spray. But I sleep a lot better here in the wilds of Ireland. I don't have to worry about my food stash, where I bathe, or my campfire smoke.
Due to the difference in Bushcrafting here in Ireland, I am forced to rewrite all of my Bushcraft curriculum. I am adding tips that I have learned from my students and also taking out subjects that just don't make sense to teach at this level.
One of the skills that I am removing from the Advanced Bushcraft course is fire by friction. Yes, it really is an amazing skill that connects you to your ancient past. Yes, it is possible to make a great kit from Willow or Alder here in Ireland. It is even possible to make it work if you know some basic tricks. But I feel that the 4-6 hours that it takes to make the kit and start making great smoke is time better spent with other Bushcraft skills that would be applicable to the Irish climate.
Let's be honest. How many of you would be willing to say that their fire by friction skills are good enough to leave all your fire lighting toys back at home and go for a Bushcraft weekend with only a blanket and a knife?
My point is that those 4-6 hours can be filled with a tremendous amount of additional applicable skills that will keep you warm, dry, well fed, and happy.
So the new Bushcraft curriculum will include more subjects that will challenge the Irish students to get out into the woods and push their skills, their comfort zone and their passions.

I encourage past students for the Basic and Advanced courses to return to help out with these classes in the new year. The class will be different enough to make it worth your while.

Enjoy the developing season. Get out to your sit spots. Embrace the Nature that surrounds you!

No comments:

Post a Comment